Email us


This area does not yet contain any content.

Blog Index
The journal that this archive was targeting has been deleted. Please update your configuration.


The Evening World. New York, Wednesday, March 24, 1909

Anna Mangano (22), a young teacher in Public School 121, at 102 Street near Second Avenue, was shot to death a few minutes before 9 o'clock this morning at Third Avenue and 103 Street by her father, Philip Mangano (53), interpreter in the marriage license bureau in the City Hall. 

A strange parental jealousy prompted the crime, and the filicide made a desperate effort to take his own life, but was thwarted by a nervy young man who gripped his arm and held it while three bullets ripped through Mangano's hat.

All this was witnessed by a vast throng of school children and the usual swarm of men and women that pours along Third Avenue at that hour in the morning.

Miss Theresa Burke, principal of the school where the comely and talented Anna Mangano taught a class of boys, was only twenty feet behind when the father stepped up to the girl and sent a bullet through her brain.

Three priests were on the pavement across the way as the young girl fell, and Father Francis Cummings, of Saint Cecilia's Church, brushed through the crowd of screaming school children to the side of the dying girl, and pronounced the absolution as she passed away.


Outbursts of jealousy had compelled the handsome young woman of twenty-two to leave the home of her father at 158 East 109 Street last January and go to live in Saint Cecilia's Working Girls' Institute, on 106 Street, near Lexington Avenue. She did this after her father had threatened her life with a saber because she refused to go to the Opera with him and went to visit a girlfriend instead. Mangano was arraigned in the Harlem Court for this on January 12 and warned.

Deserted by his wife, who feared his insane rages, the man brooded alone in his flat. From time to time he wrote incoherent letters to his wife and daughter.

Miss Mangano left the working girls' institute at 8:40 this morning, walking through 106 Street to Park Avenue, thence north to 103rd. She generally walked through 103 Street toward the school, as many of her pupils lived on the block.

As she approached Third Avenue, crowds of children flocked along the pavement. Miss Burke was hurrying to catch up with her and there were five of her fellow-teachers just ahead. She did not see her father, who was slinking along in the rear, with his hat pulled down over his eyes.


Mangano uttered no warning as he stepped up beside his daughter. As she turned her face at the sound of his foot-step he thrust the muzzle of a heavy revolver against her temple and fired. The bullet penetrated the brain and the teacher fell.

For an instant the slayer watched the body. Then he lifted the weapon to his own head, but before he could press the trigger, Adolph Schwartz, of 177 First Avenue, a young man who was hunting through the neighborhood for work, sprang from the doorway of a candy shop and seized the interpreter's arms.

The filicide fought with maniacal strength to throw Schwartz off and succeeded in pulling the trigger of his revolver three times, sending one bullet through the rim of his hat and two through the crown. Schwartz is a powerful young chap, but the struggling Mangano managed to break his grip and dart across the street just as three policemen broke through the screaming crowd and made for him.


Sergeant England and Policemen Giselbrech and Mattolo got to the slayer just as he cast his revolver into a basement areaway. He made a feeble struggle with his captors, but a sharp tap on the back of the neck with a baton quickly subdued him.

As Mangano was being led into a station-house, his son-in-law, Frank Lacativa, of 112 East 109 Street, and his daughter, Mrs. Rosa Lacativa, rushed up the steps. A schoolboy had run to their home and notified them of the killing of Anna.

Lacativa rushed at his father-in-law and yelled that he would kill him. He would have struck the man down had not half a dozen policemen seized him. They could not stay his tirade of threats, however, nor did the pleadings of his wife quiet him.

When the young man finally became calmer he told of two visits he had had from Mangano, one last night and one early this morning.

"He came to us last night," said Lacativa, "and abused all his kin. He said he would take the life of his crippled wife, who was compelled to leave him two weeks ago. He threatened Anna and my wife until I finally struck him and drove him from the house. I did not fear for Anna, as he had made so many threats against her, but I often warned her to be careful.”

"He came to me again this morning and asked our pardon. He said he had decided to kill himself and had made his will. This was at 7 o'clock, just as we were getting up. He begged us to forgive him for his crazy actions, and then began talking so wildly again that I was compelled to push him out and slam the door against him."

Seven years ago Mangano was appointed an interpreter at City Hall. He received the appointment through Fire Commissioner Nicholas Hayes. He was well educated and spoke five languages. He is now fifty-three years old.

James Weldon, who is in charge of the Cupid's bower in the basement of the City Hall, where Mangano did most of his interpreting, said today the man has been acting queerly for about six weeks.

When Mangano reached the Coroner's office he began to pray. He was committed to the Tombs, pending the fixing of a date for the inquest.