Email us


This area does not yet contain any content.

Blog Index
The journal that this archive was targeting has been deleted. Please update your configuration.


Brooklyn, March 3, 1893. Three Italian women were in the Lee Avenue Police Court, Williamsburg, today, looking for a warrant for the arrest of Michael Angelo De Lucca, a sculptor, who had been married to each of them. They were directed to New York, as Lucca is now there, a close prisoner, until he completes a statue of the Virgin for an Italian society. The maiden names of the women are Contanza Salanto, Marie De Lucca and Rosa Bizello. The two first are past thirty years of age, but Rosa is a bright girl of not over sixteen. All are living together now at 41 Havemeyer.

From the story told by the women it seems that De Lucca met Costanza in Italy ten years ago. He eloped with her and they were married. So far as she knows she is his lawful wife. Eight years ago the couple came to this country, where De Lucca did thriving  business making statues of saints for the Italian churches. While residing on North Second Street, De Lucca became enraged at Father Pietro Saponara, of the Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, in North Eighth Street, because he refused to give him an order for work. The wife was also enraged, and going to the church while he was serving mass, endeavored to stab him as he stood on the altar. For this she was given a term in Jail.

The enforced absence of his wife seemed to kill De Lucca's love for her, and while his wife was in Jail he eloped with Marie De Lucca, who, although of the same name, is no relation to him. His first wife objected when she got out and found the couple were married, but De Lucca quieted her with a sum of money.

Two years ago De Lucca left both of his wives and went back to Italy. On his return he was again a married man, the bride being bright-eyed Rosa Bizello. The sculptor set up housekeeping in Williamsburg, but carefully kept away from the other two wives. A few months ago an Italian society in New York gave him a contract to make an image of a saint. They paid $150 in advance, and for this De Lucca agreed to keep at work.

It is understood that he is locked up in a room somewhere in Mulberry Street with his statue, the understanding being that he shall remain there until he completes his work or pay back the money. Yesterday all of De Lucca's wives met through a friend in Williamsburg's Italian colony, and after telling each other of their experiences became highly indignant. The probabilities are that De Lucca will not be allowed to finished the saint's statue.

The Evening World, March 3, 1893